Job title: Finance and Administrative Officer
Duration: ASAP until May 2022
Job type: full time
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Experience: 5 years or more
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Visit the site http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
ILRI will support the Government of Burundi on improvements to the dairy value chain in Burundi as part of the Integrated Agricultural Development Project for the Great Lakes Region (PRDAIGL) project. In this context, ILRI, hosted in Burundi by IITA, is soliciting applications from suitable candidates to fill the position of a Finance and Administration Officer
The main responsibilities for this position include:
- Maintains the accounts, following relevant ILRI and IITA regulations, in coordination with the Station Accountant and ILRI HQ finance colleagues;
- Ensures the management of the data file and the appropriate filing of the electronic and hard copies of the financial documents and reports;
- Prepares the monthly financial report based on the accounting application, with all necessary justifying documentation (invoice, bank drafts and bank exchange)
- Ensures a regular monitoring of the bank account(s) and prepare bank reconciliation
- Carries out the calculation of the payroll, for all ILRI-PRDAIGL staff.
- Prepares the internal invoices for use of IITA/ILRI PRDAIGL assets.
- Handles all partner payment related matters (follow up on advances and preparing documents to settle advances)
- Maintains payment record of all invoices received
- Maintains payee statement records for all suppliers
- Carries out payments of all regular area office expenses such as office rental, advances, etc.
- Liaise closely with ILRI HQ and I@S Program accounting staff as required.
- Prepares the planning of the financial needs for forthcoming periods;
- Maintains a petty cash box, with all due accounting and security precautions;
- Prepares elements for the budget analysis and forecast
- Monitors the development of expenditure, ensuring that budget overruns do not occur and prepares requests for possible amendments.
- Receive all correspondence and dispatch them.
- Prepare meeting minutes.
- Keep inventory of office equipment and supplies;
- Handles all administrative responsibilities and duties for the office
- Arrange travel and other logistics arrangements for PRDAIGL dairy value chain activities, in coordination with the Station Administrator.
- Update and maintain all project documentation including project budget in project tracking system (e.g. ERP systems such as OCS etc.)
- Assist in ensuring effective communication within administrative team in Burundi and with ILRI HQ
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or related field with a minimum of Five (5) years’ relevant work experience performing same role.
- Familiarity with grants and contracts administration in a non-profit organization.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English and French, including ability to write project and financial reports.
- Digital literacy, with ability to work effectively remotely using digital tools.
- Be a team player accustomed to working in multicultural groups.
- Experience in facilitating teamwork and collaboration across multiple functions
The Finance and Administration officer reports to the ILRI PRDAIGL Dairy VC Coordinator, who will assign the appropriate tasks, in close coordination with the IITA Burundi Station Administrator.
The contract will be for an initial period commencing ASAP and ending May 2022, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI/IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Method of Application
click on the "Apply Now" tab above before 18 September 2020 to apply.