Communications Officer I
- 21 Jun 2019
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
The Position: The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) seeks to recruit ‘Communication Officer’ at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Office.
General: The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health. The Centre’s headquarter is located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org.
- Provide oversight of the office’s production of publications and ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to appropriate audiences (collaborators, NGOs, the government and donors);
- Support the regional communication and knowledge dissemination initiatives;
- Work with ICRAF project staff and partners to assist develop, produce, and use relevant extension and training materials (flyers, posters, infographics, videos, etc.) for target groups (government institutions, farmers, and agricultural extension personnel) and project events (seminars, meetings, demonstrations, field days);
- Support identify, develop and disseminate a variety of media materials in multiple and appropriate formats;
- Support initiatives to facilitate the support of gathering content and coverage of relevant country efforts to highlight achievements and activities resulting in support of fundraising;
- Document and communicate ICRAF projects news, updates and stories for wider dissemination in Ethiopia, and globally;
- Document high-interest stories for dissemination in suitable formats (interviews, photographs, video) to various target audiences;
- As required, travel to document institution’s work on the ground, including field visits and taking still and video photography;
- Assist scientists in preparing scientific posters, presentations, and other materials;
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in Ethiopia – as a specific contribution to the projects’ wider alignment and scaling objectives;
- Support innovative use of information, communication and knowledge-based interventions and approaches across projects, making use of, for example, participatory communication approaches, emerging ICTs, and working with partners in these areas;
- Support the activities related to the production of high-quality communications materials, including digital content, annual reports and reviews, newsletters, etc;
- Liaise with HQ communications team to share project updates and stories
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related field
- Relevant professional certification is a plus
- Excellent writer and communicator with hands-on editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Excellent communication, organizational and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks; keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently on agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Conversant in social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Basic knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography and photo editing.
- Ability to write/edit under pressure, with high accuracy and to deadline.
- Fluency in English and Amharic; working knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is desirable.
- BSc degree with 5 years or MSc degree with 3 years relevant experience in a development, research, corporate or international environment is a plus
- Experience in relationship building with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience with process facilitation.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in Ethiopia is highly desirable.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in the area of agricultural/forestry research for development is an added advantage.
- Ability to think strategically and to develop and execute a strategic communication planning.
- Ability to read, understand and assimilate complex technical information to produce clear, well-written summaries.
- Experience to present and package scientific information into various formats to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG13
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 24,572 (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: CO/22/19 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 20 June 2019.
To find more about ICRAF, visit our Website at www.worldagroforestry.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert