Research Associate III - Internal External
- Jun 05, 2023
- Yabelo, Borena, Oromia, Ethiopia
- Sustainable Livestock Systems Program (SLS)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate III who is required to coordinate Sentinel Zone work, support implementation of other projects in Ethiopia, and maintain active communication with data collectors or contributors and monitor the data collection on regular basis, check data, do analysis and report to research project coordinator and project principal investigator.
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org.
- Facilitate farmers and site selections for SI-MFS research and scaling activities;
- Coordinate the field implementation of sentinel zones work to ensure accurate and consistent data collection and submission;
- Develop a clear workplan in coordination with the IBLI country coordinator and sentinel zones project leader and follow the workplan in conducting routine field visits to the sentinel clusters to monitor progress of contributors;
- Join weekly sentinel zones team meeting to update team members about the status of the implementation of sentinel zones work;
- Maintain active communication with data collectors or contributors and provide weekly updates on the status of the sentinel zones field implementation and join regular meetings about the sentinel zones;
- Manage the contributors selected for KAZNET data collection and support with building their capacity when instructed by the overall coordinator of the sentinel zones work;
- Coordinate contributors’ payment;
- Check sentinel zones data, approve, and submit for payment;
- Contact person for capacity building of contributors in sentinel zones;
- Provide support to Research project coordinator on feasibility of index-based livestock insurance in other regions;
- Support data collection, recruit enumerators and lead IBLI related surveys;
- Support scoping studies to identify promising innovations for bundling with livestock insurance;
- Support research on the role of livestock insurance on conflict mitigation by coordinating with the IBLI country coordinator and project principal investigator in identifying; training, and supervising survey data collectors and village insurance promoters;
- Coordinate implementation of other IBLI projects in the assigned area of work and facilitate the creation of strategic partnerships with other local partners;
- Conduct basic data analysis to generate summary statistics;
- Lead marketing and capacity development of Index based livestock insurance whenever in IBLI operational areas;
- Coordinate implementation of field activities and prepare reports;
- Coordinate development of training materials for smooth IBLI implementation;
- Develop and program data collection templates in KoBo Toolbox or SurveyCTO;
- Other duties as assigned.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University in social science or education (education, sociology, development study, any other related field)
- At least five years of research and project Implementation experience, a good knowledge on disaster risk management, pastoralism preferably with CGIAR Center
- Knowledge of very good English and Afan Oromo speaking and writing is mandatory
- Know how pastoral production will add value
- Knowledge in relevant field and relevant technical training
- Proficiency in the use of specialised tools and relevant technical training
- Understanding and application of practical methods, work procedures and methods
Duty Station: Yabello, Ethiopia
Grade: HG 12
Minimum Base Salary:
- Birr 31,313 per month (negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is fixed term for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes a very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site .
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: RA/IBLI/08/23 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 5 June 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
Suitable qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/