Research Associate II- Animal and Human Health
- Nairobi, Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Associate to support the activities of the Genomics Platform.
ILRI works to improve food security and nutrition, and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 11 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, ILRI has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Receiving and logging in of samples brought to the ILRI laboratories for high throughput genomic analysis
- Performing Bioinformatic analysis of sequence data generated from the genomic platform
- Creating and regularly updating a clinical database for logging in results
- Prepare sequencing library for samples to be sequenced at the genomic platform
- Create a searchable sequence database for pathogen genome analysis and variant calling
- Reporting results to the lead scientist for quality checks
- Prepare training materials and participate in training workshops for genomic and bioinformatic capacity building at the Institute
- Bachelor of science in molecular biology, computer science, data management, genomics or relevant field
- 2 years’ relevant experience in high throughput genomic science and data analysis
- Experience in high throughput genomics data analysis
- Experience working in a laboratory setting
- Experience in developing genomic analysis pipelines and developing analysis scripts using python, R, or perl
- Ability to communicate effectively, work independently and work productively in a multidisciplinary, multicultural team
Strong English language skills, both written and spoken
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG11 and it is only open to Kenyan nationals. The position is a 1-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes pension, medical and other insurances.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above on or before 23 March 2023. The position title and reference number REF: AHH/907/2023 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants' bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org