Post-Doctoral Fellow Livestock Genomic Analysis– Bioinformatics
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Livestock Genetics
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Fellow to undertake genome sequence analysis of African livestock breed/populations to identify signatures of selection, on environmental adaptation and productivity traits, in support of breeding programs. The Fellow will work with scientists and post-graduate students at ILRI-Kenya, ILRI - Ethiopia, ILRI – CAAS joint laboratory on Animal and Forage Genetic Resources (Beijing, China) and the Centre for Tropical Livestock Genetics and Health (CTLGH, United Kingdom).
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Bioinformatic data analysis of livestock genomes and transcriptomes
- Provide training and contribution to bioinformatic capacity building activities (e.g. supervision of post-graduate students at ILRI – Kenya, ILRI – Ethiopia, and CTLGH – United Kingdom research facilities; training of partners from within Africa)
- Ensure integration of bioinformatics into the research and research planning process of the Genetics Flagship within SAPLING
- Proactively establish and build strong relationship with a range of local, regional and international partners and collaborators
- Contribute to the scientific quality of the research within the global livestock genetics program (bio)informatics team
- Contribute to developing project reports and publish relevant findings on a timely basis in scientific literature and present at international scientific conferences
- Contribute to the development of resource mobilization proposals as appropriate
- PhD in bioinformatics or in biological sciences research driven by computational or related field
- Work experience in bioinformatics or in biological sciences research driven by computational.
- Familiarity with genetic analysis / bioinformatics, particularly the use and analysis of high-throughput sequencing data generated by a range of platforms
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and teams and cultural contexts
Post location: The position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of Appointment
This is position is at job level HG 16 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a two (2) year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; medical and other insurances.
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 12 February 2023. The position title and reference number: LG/773/2022 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer