The Position: World Agroforestry (ICRAF) seeks to recruit one Research Officer I – Project Site Coordinator who will be responsible and assist in coordination of ensuring the smooth running of the project on “Engagement of Rural Young People in Tree-Based Value Chains and Cascading of the Watershed and Agroforestry Platform” Research-In-Development project. The project site coordinator is responsible to facilitate and guide the Research-In-Development interventions together with the local partners of ICRAF-Ethiopia.
General: World Agroforestry (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health. The Centre’s headquarter is located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org.
- In consultation with the project principal investigator, coordinates project activities for their effective implementations and upscaling in collaboration with local partners;
- Coordinates and conducts action research activities;
- Collects, organizes, and analyses action research data to generate information and evidence;
- Conducts regular monitoring visit to the beneficiary farmers and youth and women groups participating in the project to ensure their active engagements in the project;
- Follows up whether priority technologies/practices identified by the beneficiary farmers participating in the project are addressed and assess if the priority technologies/practices are adopted by neighbouring farming communities as best-fit technologies/practices;
- Facilitates effective project participation (e.g., in project planning, implementation, Monitoring & Evaluation and scaling learning priorities);
- Coordinates project meetings with local partners including with the regional research institute, Universities, regional bureau of agriculture, job creation and cooperative (with its respective offices at Zone, Woreda, and Kebele levels);
- Establishes strong partnerships with relevant stakeholders operating at local level for effective project implementation and scaling up;
- Facilitates and coordinates the cascading and operationalization of the National Watershed and Agroforestry Multi-stakeholders Platform (NWAMP) in the project target areas;
- Facilitates and coordinates to make the platform (NWAMP) as an effective collaboration modality for Agriculture, Livelihoods and Conservation (ALC) implementing actors so as to boost engagement of rural young people in tree-based value chains and good ALC practices in the project areas;
- Organizes and provides capacity building including trainings and experience sharing visits to facilitate co-learning between researchers, farmer groups and farmers/peer-to-peer farmers and communities to uptake of best-fit technologies and practices;
- Facilitates and participates in relevant local and national workshops to share experiences, information and evidence generated from the project;
- Follows up and monitors project logistics at local level;
- Prepares regular final plans required for the implementation of project activities and settle project advances as per the Centre’s policy; and;
- Prepares and submits quarter, semi-annual, and annual project workplans and reports to the project coordinator;
- Other relevant duties and responsibilities given by the supervisor/s and project partners.
- Master’s degree in Forestry, Agroforestry, Natural resources management and related disciplines.
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- Good technical knowledge and experiences on action research or research in development activities including data collection, organizations, and analysis
- Ability to liaise and communicate with regional sectors including bureau of agriculture and natural resources (and with its respective sectors at zonal, district, Kebele levels), regional research institute, Universities, NGOs, ALC actors, community organizations and other relevant partners.
- Ability to deliver technical training and backstopping to farmers, youth and women groups, district experts, and development agents including in local language).
- Very good skills in verbal and written (including presentation) both in English and the local language-Afan Oromo, which is spoken in the area where project is being implemented is an added value).
- Basic capabilities and experiences in financial management.
- Basic IT skills required for preparing project plans, reports, presentations, and data handling.
- Experience in teamwork and people management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and proven networking skills.
- Experience in project report writing and project coordination
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative analytical skills.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
Duty Station: Illubabor/Buno Bedele Zone centre, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG 13
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 24,599 (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is fixed term for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: PSC/13/21 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 20 April 2021.
To find more about ICRAF, visit our Website at www.worldagroforestry.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert