The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Study Manager to be responsible for the management of study and perform technical procedures under the ILRI’s newly developed Contract Research Organization (CRO) unit.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa (www.ilri.org).
ILRI is in the process of developing a Contract Research Organization (CRO) arm to provide services to internal and external research projects utilizing its animal research facilities. To ensure the delivery of efficient and high-quality research in line with compliance (VICH GCP) and time lines, ILRI is looking for an experienced person to manage the animal facility operations, resources scheduling and animal facility compliance to applicable standards ensuring good quality work, delivery and in a cost-efficient manner.
- Serve as Investigator as needed on studies as appointed by Test Facility Management,
- Primary role in drafting study proposals and budget development; protocol development, writing, editing and review; study report writing, editing, and review,
- Drafting and submission of research approvals to IACUC and IBC, including addressing any questions received from these committees,
- Ensure the health and welfare of the personnel involved in the study and the animals during the study through monitoring adherence to the Biosafety Manual and animal welfare policies,
- Overseeing the receipt, dispensing, and disposal of test articles or investigational veterinary products according to the study protocol, local regulations, and internal standard operating procedures,
- Overseeing the receipt, dispensing, and disposal of imported biological material according to the import permit and protocol requirements,
- Manage & oversee study phases outsourced to approved external laboratories / consultants / vendors,
- Provide guidance and training on studies to research and technical staff,
- Study sponsor interaction and effective and timely communication to study sponsor representatives, study monitors and site management on study progress and results, including addressing any study related questions,
- Coordinate and/or participate in day-to-day research activities such as dose preparation, administration, observations, sample collection and other related research tasks.
In the role as assistant study Investigator
- Serve as lead support to a Study Director/Investigator/Coordinator as needed on studies as appointed by Test Facility Management,
- Study master file administration, including, but not limited to the preparation and close-out of files, raw data reviews, and data management tasks,
- Assist in drafting study proposals, protocols, and reports,
- Assist in drafting research approval applications to IACUC and IBC,
- Coordinate study related activities with other applicable departments as necessary,
- Coordinate and/or perform study setup: preparation and review of facility/study logs, study rooms/cages, animal selection and acclimation, environmental enrichment, scheduling study activities, and other related duties as needed,
- Coordinate and/or participate in day-to-day research activities such as dose preparation, administration, observations, sample collection, and other related research tasks,
- Communicate study progress to the Study Director/Investigator/Coordinator and Study Sponsor when requested,
- Timely reporting of study adverse events to the Study Director/Investigator/Coordinator.
- Team Lead duties which includes resource scheduling and updating of departmental worksheets in line with good people practices and in accordance with departmental objectives,
- Coordinate and/or respond to QA, regulatory agency, and sponsor audits in a timely manner,
- Develop, validate, and execute novel study models,
- Identify and implement preventative measures in accordance with set instructions and procedures in cases where serious diseases are suspected,
- Control document development and review as required.
- Masters degree in Natural or Biological Science with 9 years of experience or PhD in Natural or Biological Science with 2 yrs of experience
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and 2 years’ research experience
- Expertise in animal health, animal welfare, biosecurity, bio-safety issues, and the 3Rs (Refine, Replace and Reduce) concept associated with animal health research
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment and foster teamwork
- Ability to work with limited supervision and to take initiatives
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This is position is at job level HG 16 and it is open to both national and international applicants. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 10 January 2021.
The position title and reference number: CRO-MGR/12/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org