The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Study and facility operations Manager to be responsible for the management of study and facility operations under the ILRI’s newly developed Contract Research Organization (CRO) unit.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa (www.ilri.org).
ILRI is in the process of developing a Contract Research Organization (CRO) arm to provide services to internal and external research projects utilizing its animal research facilities. To ensure the delivery of efficient and high-quality research in line with compliance (VICH GCP) and time lines, ILRI is looking for an experienced person to manage the animal facility operations, resources scheduling and animal facility compliance to applicable standards ensuring good quality work, delivery and in a cost-efficient manner.
Study and animal facility operations
- Guides the development of study plans, protocols and ethics applications to high-quality in line with compliance and time lines
- Develop, validate and execute novel study models to high-quality in line with compliance and time lines
- Act as Study Investigator/Director on multiple specialties of GCP, GLP and non-standard studies to deliver efficient and high-quality research in line with compliance and time lines
- Team lead duties which includes management of a team, resource scheduling, updating of departmental worksheets and general management duties in line with good people practices and in accordance with departmental objectives
- Ensure compliance in the use and verification of relevant equipment
- Ensure compliance in the recording and handling of raw data
- Observe the workplace rules at all times and report non-conformance to the relevant person as to ensure that all activities in the workplace are compliant with company rules, policies and procedures
- Supervise and implement biosafety and security protocols to maintain a clean, orderly and audit ready facility at all times
- Ensure the handling and storage of chemicals and laboratory consumables are efficient, safe and environmentally sustainable to ensure compliance.
- Observe the correct reporting, remedial and corrective actions to be followed by following set instructions and procedures to report and correct any non-conformance issues
- Perform specific study related and/or study conduct tasks by following set instructions and procedures to ensure safe and successful study practices
- Supervise and implement study administrative tasks by following set instructions and procedures to ensure safe and successful study delivery
- Ensure the adherence to specified internal and external compliance and legislative standards, requirements and practices
- Administration of veterinary products to animals actively being utilised in a study inclusive of drugs utilised for concomitant therapy
- Manage animal facilities by following set instructions and procedures to ensure and promote good animal husbandry practices resulting in content, well-adjusted and cared for animals;
- Managing various aspects of feeding of animals by following set instructions and procedures in order to maintain healthy animals and reduce feed expenses;
- Ensure the standards of cleaning of animal housing, equipment and facility is followed as per set instructions and procedures to prevent contamination, maintain and optimise animal health and wellbeing and to achieve and maintain a clean, orderly and audit ready facility at all times;
- Manage and control pest infestation by following set instructions and procedures to eliminate harbourage zones, prevent infestations and pest diseases vectors and to ensure a safe, bio-secured healthy environment for animals;
- And any other duties that may be assigned to you.
- PhD in Natural or Biological Science;
- At least 5 years’ research experience and 7 years’ investigator experience.
- Expertise in animal health, animal welfare, biosecurity, bio-safety issues, and the 3Rs (Refine, Replace and Reduce) concept associated with animal health research.
- Expertise in VICH GCP and GLP
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 18. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
Applications: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 31 January 2020.
The position title and reference number: PC/BIO/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org