- 20 Dec 2018
- Bahir Dar, Amara, Ethiopia
The position: The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) seeks to hire a Project Manager to serve both technical and managerial activities of the newly funded three-year project that will be implemented along with the YESH (Young Entrepreneurs in Silk and Honey) Project. The project aims to set up and make functional eight honey and beeswax aggregation and processing marketplaces in eight districts of East Gojjam, West Gojjam and Awi Zones of the Amhara Regional State. The project manager will provide technical guidance and supervision along the honey and beeswax value chains from primary production, aggregation, processing and marketing.
General: International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) is a world-class research center with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world, through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with country office in Ethiopia and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organizations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 100 graduate students and several postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www.icipe.org
- Manage project cycle planning of the Enhanced Integrated Framework (EIF) Honey project, including reviewing and reaffirming time-lines of key project activities, outputs and milestones as specified in the project proposal
- Take a lead role in the field level implementation of project activities and coordinating them with related activities of collaborating institutions at Region, Zone and Woreda levels, in particular in the establishment and running of the eight honey and beeswax marketplaces
- Pro-actively work with project team members and collaborators to ensure operations of the marketplaces, including the sourcing, proper collection and aggregation of crude honey, processing, packaging and marketing of final products in compliance with applicable standards, through regular follow ups and supervision with each of the project field assistants
- In consultation with the project leader and other members of the YESH Project team, facilitate collaboration with partner institutions, organize skills development training workshops in entrepreneurship, beekeeping, financial handling and marketing, to project beneficiary youth, and coordinate the identification of suitable buildings for the setup of marketplaces, their rehabilitation works and making them operational in each of the eight project Woredas;
- Take primary responsibility for routine data collection on project activities and documentation of relevant information on progress of implementation of the project, as well as contribute to public communication on lessons learnt in implementation of the project
- Write monthly brief progress updates, as well as bi-annual and annual technical reports of the project and submit to project leader
- Contribute to the drafting of new project concept notes, proposals and write scientific manuscripts for publication, and
- Perform other project specific duties as requested by the project leader
- MSc degree or above in agriculture plus professional certification in project management
- PhD in beekeeping or related fields would be an advantage
- Five years of hands-on work experience in research and development of smallholder beekeeping
- Solid understanding of the biology of beekeeping and the socio-economics of smallholder beekeeping
- Comprehensive understanding of the current state of affairs of the honey and beeswax value chains in Ethiopia, and in particular roles and constraints of major actors, including formal and informal traders;
- Good understanding of the current policy environment within which smallholder and commercial apiculture in the country operate
- Well informed of current and developing regulatory frameworks, including product standards, pertinent to the honey and beeswax value chains
- Demonstrated ability in on-farm and laboratory level research in beekeeping, bee health, bee forage and honey processing
- Good scientific communication skills, as demonstrated in peer reviewed publications, public seminars and lectures
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural work environment
- Experience in implementation of Development Agencies of similar projects in considered an asset.
- Multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Capacity to take initiative, demonstrate good judgment and work under minimal supervision.
- Sound experience in stakeholder management.
Duty Station: Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
Position level: 3B.
Minimum Base salary:
Birr 43,956 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: Initial appointment is for three years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. icipe offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits in line with ILRI salary applicable for its Nationally Recruited Staff. icipe is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: PM/43/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 20 December 2018.
To find more about ICIPE, visit our Website at http://www.icipe.org
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert