The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit Senior Logistics and Transport Officer to provide leadership in both Transport and Stores Units by ensuring constant and proactive service delivery is provided to all customers in line with both the Stores and Transport Management Policies.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centers dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Oversee the day to day operations for the transport and stores units
- Oversee the implementation and compliance of Transport and stores management policies, standard operating procedures and as appropriate recommend any additional logistics-related procedures/guidelines for changes
- Manage and safeguard physical resources in the stores and transport units
- Supervise and manage the performance of staff with the aim of improving their performance as well as keeping the staff engaged and motivated
- Ensuring that there is a proper division and rotation of tasks within the Unit and create an environment of learning and self-development as well as providing induction training to new staff in Stores policies/procedures
- Oversee the implementation and compliance of Stores management policies, standard operating procedures and as appropriate recommend any additional logistics-related procedures/guidelines for changes
- Lead in the establishment or strengthening of inventory management systems that will assist with the monitoring stocks reports/ distribution and pipeline information to ensure adequate stock level and avoid wastage.
- Designing and development of good checks, controls and measures to promote timely delivery and dispatching of goods desired specifications, mitigate theft and mitigate risk.
- Oversee the coordination of the disposal committee meetings and implementation of the recommendations/action plans.
- Establish/Promote a good working environment and work processes that comply with EOHS policies and standards.
- Establish and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders with a view to influence or negotiate for the benefit of the units.
- Preparing regular reports as well as custom reports, identifying any issues and recommending and or making changes as appropriate.
- Create transport management systems which will increase efficiency, inform maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment, accident reporting, as well as maintaining awareness and knowledge of condition and location of fleet vehicles.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase consumption of ILRI transport services which will enable the unit fully to recover its costs.
- Safeguarding of all documentation pertaining to ILRI vehicles
- Preparing regular reports and any custom/ ad hoc reports highlighting any concerns and developing/recommending solutions
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Guide and advice the Disposal Committee on all the policies, processes and procedures governing disposal.
- Oversee the updating and maintenance of all information on the relevant systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain Management, store or transport management.
- Professional qualifications in Logistics management from the Chartered Institute of Supply Chain management (CIPS) or any other recognized professional body.
- Member of CIPS or KISM.
- At least five years working experience in a similar post from reputable organizations.
- Experience with international organizations would be an added advantage.
- Valid driving licence
- Experience in using micro soft Computer packages.
- Experience in using supply Chain systems, especially transport and store.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communicator in both written and spoken English.
- Good people management and coordination skills.
- Innovative and analytical skills.
- Good intuition to make crucial judgements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 3A and ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position,, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 6 December 2018. The position title and reference number REF: SLT/CS/11/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants' bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.
More ILRI jobs