The Position: The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) seeks to recruit a Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist who will be working with the research teams (Global Wheat Program, Global Maize Program, Sustainable Intensification Program, Socio-Economics Program) in Ethiopia, and CIMMYT Kenya/Headquarters Communications team and who will be a member of CIMMYT Ethiopia located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Addis Ababa campus.
General: The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is an autonomous, non-profit making, international scientific organization operating under the aegis of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). More specifically its mission is to encourage, support and undertake activities to improve the productivity, profitability and sustainability of maize and wheat systems in the interest of the resource poor in developing countries.
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Develop, maintain and update the country communication and knowledge strategy and associated work plan;
- Provide oversight of program production publications and ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to appropriate audiences (NGOs, the government and donors);
- Support the regional communication and knowledge dissemination initiatives;
- Work with project partners to develop, produce, and use relevant extension and training materials (flyers, posters, infographics, videos, etc.) for target communities (farmers, and agricultural extension personnel) and project events (demonstrations, field days);
- Identify, develop and disseminate a variety of media materials in multiple and appropriate formats;
- Lead the initiative to facilitate the support of gathering content and coverage of relevant country efforts to highlight achievements and activities resulting in support of fundraising;
- Document and communicate project news, updates and stories for wider dissemination in Ethiopia, and globally;
- Document high-interest stories for dissemination in suitable formats (interviews, photographs, video) to various target audiences;
- As required, travel to document CIMMYT's work on the ground, including field visits and taking still and video photography;
- Assist scientists in preparing scientific posters, presentations, and other materials;
- Publish and disseminate project results in various forms – print, digital, video or audio;
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in Ethiopia – as a specific contribution to the projects’ wider alignment and scaling objectives;
- Support innovative use of information, communication and knowledge-based interventions and approaches across projects, making use of, for example, participatory communication approaches, emerging ICTs, and working with partners in these areas;
- Oversee the activities related to the production of high quality communications materials, including digital content, annual reports and reviews, newsletters, etc;
- Liaise with CIMMYT HQ communications team to share project updates and stories
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors
- BSc degree or MSC degree in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related field
- corporate communications
- BSc degree with 5 years or MSc degree with 3 years’ relevant experience in a development, research, corporate or international environment is a plus
- Experience in relationship building with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in the area of agricultural research for development is an added advantage.
- Ability to think strategically and to develop and execute a strategic communication planning.
- Ability to read, understand and assimilate complex technical information to produce clear, well-written summaries.
- Ability to present and package scientific information into various formats to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Basic knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography and photo editing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and well within teams.
- Excellent communication, organizational and documentation skills.
- Excellent writer and communicator with great editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks; keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently on agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Conversant in social media platforms and social networking tools.
- Experience with process facilitation.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in Ethiopia is highly desirable.
- Ability to write/edit under pressure, with high accuracy and to deadline.
- Fluency in English and Amharic; working knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is desirable.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: 3A.
Minimum Base salary: Birr 27,302 per month (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history of the selected candidate).
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is (fixed term) for two years with the possibility of renewal appointment, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits.
The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: CKMS/41/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 21 November 2018.
To find more about CIMMYT, visit our Website at www.cimmyt.org.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert