The Position: The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Senior Accountant to provide efficient quality service in the field of finance and accounting for Housing and catering unit. Involve in all the financial transactions and maintain the internal control system in HCC to make sure ILRI financial regulations are adhered. Timely report should be submitted to all concerned regarding the outlets and front office transactions.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Club and cafeteria sales
- Reviews the summary of the daily sales generated from the hotel system (IDS) and presents for further verification to the service coordinator and approval of the HCC manager.
- Ensures cash collection tallies with the summary of daily sales, is deposited intact to the bank, journalizes to the main accounting system and presents to the deputy finance manager for posting.
- Ensures all internal sales are supported by internal orders by reconciling against the summary of the daily sales and posts the sales in the OCS.
- Reconciles all credit sales to external customers against the summary of the daily sales, journalizes the income in OCS; ensures the same is charged to the customer ledger and presents the journal for posting to the deputy finance manager.
- Ensures billing is always done prior to the delivery of services to the customer.
- Reconciles credit sales against banquet order form, customer bills, internal order and the summary of daily sales.
- Prepares food costing for the day to day issue. Produce a report on food costing daily, weekly and monthly basis and presents to the HCC manager.
- Performs periodic stock verification.
- Ensures all Zebu sales including membership is done through IDS. For membership sales make sure the list of members for which the sales are done in any given day is presented together with the daily sales summary.
- Makes sure register of members is maintained and updated regularly with all the relevant information.
- Ensures the club facilities are in use only by members and authorized persons by conducting surprise checks and reconciliation against the authorized members list.
Housing unit sales
- Reviews the night audit report at the beginning of each working day and
- Ensures all transactions including services offered to customers by the club and cafeteria are correctly booked to IDS guest account.
- Obtains room discrepancy report to ensure that the house-keeping and front desk office have documented reasons and explanations for discrepancies.
- Reviews rate report and checks any rate which is unusual to the source of reservation obtaining justification and explanation when necessary.
- Reviews the night audit revenue and cashiers’ reports.
- Reconciles daily cash sales against the revenue and cashiers reports and cash receipt, ensures the cash collected is deposited intact to the bank and then journalizes in OCS and presents for posting to the deputy finance manager.
- After verification of daily check outs and finalization of events, ensures that the guest ledger and customer account is closed and generates invoices to dispatch to the customer.
- Sends invoices to customers and follows up collection of the same with in the agreed time.
- Journalizes settlements of credit sales daily in the OCS and depositing customer cheques to the bank.
- For internal customers, ensures internal order is generated in the OCS, reconciles with the invoices and cash receipts generated from the IDS and posts the order in the OCS.
- Verifies the residential houses occupancy report and journalizes to the OCS monthly and presents for posting to the deputy finance manager.
Account analysis and reporting
- Generates receivables reports from OCS and IDS and perform reconciliation justifying discrepancies and adjusting where necessary. Presents the reconciliation statement together with aging report for review to the deputy finance manager and approval to the HCC manager and the country finance manager.
- Before monthly closing analyses the transactions posted in the OCS and ensure all recharges are recorded properly.
- Prepare income – expenditure and budget variance reports and provide justification and analysis for the variance between the budget and the actual income and expenditure.
- Checks and verifies the manager report generated by the housing assistant.
- Actively participates in annual budget preparation including and revenue proposal activities.
- Verifies the payments requests of the HCC unit do have sufficient/appropriate supporting evidence are mathematically correct, authentic, comply with policy and procedures.
- Analyses and assigns appropriate and applicable account codes, cost center codes and project codes and preparing for data entry.
- Inputs transactions into the computer system from the documents earlier prepared and generating transaction listings, which serve as payment vouchers for checking and approval.
- Follow up processing of payments to suppliers within the credit period.
- Performs matching of the invoice with the PO and GRN.
- Verifies the summary and the supporting documents presented for petty cash replenishment are sufficient and appropriate.
- Replenish petty cash within 4 days after the receipt of the petty cash summary report and supporting documents.
- Conduct periodic petty cash verification through quarterly cash count and reconciliation.
- Reviews and ensures that all internal control and policies relating to accounts payables, accounts receivables, cashiering, inventory control and store keeping, casual labor payroll are maintained and adhered to.
- Attends to queries of internal and external parties regarding the responsibility areas.
- Advises HCC Manager on any outstanding issues in the responsibility areas.
- Keeps files of all relevant documents.
- Acts as a dual custodian of the Institute’s unused cheque
- Act as a duty manager whenever required.
- Undertakes any other assignment that may be given by the supervisor.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BA degree in Accounting, Finance or related fields. MBA degree in Accounting or Finance or any Accounting Qualifications such as ACCA, CPA is a plus.
- BA degree plus 5 years or MBA degree plus 2 years’ experience working in a finance related environment in an international or renowned hotel.
- Work experience at least in part in an international NGO or an international organization.
- Experience as income auditor is advantageous
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including spreadsheets and accounting software
- Knowledge of computerized accounting software required
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Commitment to ILRI’s mission and core values
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Minimum Base Salary: Birr 24,572 (Negotiable depending on experience, skill and salary history
of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: SA/34/18 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 19 November 2018.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert